Friday, January 6, 2012

Go See Pariah!!!

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Crunk Feminist Collective by moyazb on 1/6/12

Title Character "Alike", dark skinned beauty, smiling with head cocked to the side

I've been trying to write a review for the movie Pariah for a while now but I can't write anything that conveys what this film accomplishes. For those who need to know about the film before you see it, read Summer M.'s take and the review by Mecca Jamilah Sullivan at the Feminist Wire. Brilliant commentary (and Spoilers, FYI).

What I really want to talk about is the power of showing out up for art that creates new narratives and provides another lens on worlds that we don't often get to see centered on the big screen. As much as I despise Tyler Perry's films, I appreciate people's willingness to pay for what they want to see and go out en masse premiere weekend. His audiences' loyalty is what allows him to continue to create and branch out into other mediums like television. I want that opportunity for longevity and growth for folks who are trying to offer a different perspective. Dee Rees' Pariah was years in the making and it took a village to raise it. I'm certainly proud to be a part of the community from whence it came and I've been rooting for its success for some time.

Three years ago I got an email from Beverly Guy-Sheftall, the indomitable director of the Spelman Women's Research & Resource Center (and the professor that started me down the path of my feminist future), about a young filmmaker who was working to turn a short into a feature length film. I hadn't even seen the short but I emailed everyone I knew based solely on the premise and the title. Pariah was a queer coming of age story with a Black girl protagonist. Nuff said.

Krys Freeman and I mobilized our respective networks and helped the film win a coveted Sundance prize that allowed it to be developed into a feature. We told folks to vote, asked people to donate money and we did! We weren't alone. So many people were excited for this movie to exist. The opportunity to support a film for us by us was something a lot of folks could get behind.

On the CFC we offer critiques of culture but we also like to provide people with information about the things that inspire us and provide proof that another world is possible. Pariah is one of those things! Show up and show OUT for this movie! We are planning a "Let's go OUT to the Movies" meet up in Atlanta to see the film when it premieres January 13. I encourage folks in other cities to do the same! Leave details in the comments if you'd like to attend or organize such an OUTing in your city!



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: