Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We lost warriors this week...



Hi Family and Friends,

If you have spoken to me in the last few days you know that I was informed on Monday morning of the tragic death of three incredible women: Myriam Merlet, Magalie Marcelin and Ann Marie Coriolan.  Because Myriam was often traveling to spread the word throughout the diaspora, Myriam and I actually never met, but we communicated through email often as she graciously welcomed me into the community at the Women's Ministry in Port-au-Prince.  Magalie was actually the last person I saw before I left P-au-P the last time. This woman was amazing and words cannot explain how great a loss these women are.  For those of you who always ask what and why I work in Haiti, these women were why.  They knew love, they knew how to work for change in the name of love, and they fought courageously for black women in Haiti and throughout the diaspora.  My heart is heavy.  Please keep these women and their families in your thoughts and prayers.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/haitian_feminist_leader_myriam_merlet_1953

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/haitian_feminist_leader_myriam_merlet_1953

There is work to be done.

Grace

For those who have a hard time grasping the magnitude of these women's greatness.  They are the Audre Lorde, Toni Cade Bambara, Sonja Sanchez, Beverly Guy-Sheftall, Angela Davis, Flo Kennedy,  and the list goes on........ Your Mother, Your Aunt, Your sister of Port-au-Prince and Haiti.


(thanks rachel for passing this along.)

No comments: