Monday, November 23, 2009

QBG Leah on BGLH!

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via bglhonline.com by Black Girl With Long Hair on 11/22/09

Where are you from?
L:
I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. My parents are Jamaican & Guyanese, and I've lived in Atlanta for just under 10 years, so I consider it my other home. I do sales and marketing for a distribution company. I'm a social media/pop culture junkie, so a good work day is when I've spent hours reading blogs, tweeting, blipping, and catching up on current events…all in the name of "marketing". I'm also a full time university student. When I grow up I want to be a university professor, and in another life, I was a fly DJ (a dream, that I'm slowly but surely working on)

When did you go natural?

Leah as a kid

L: I started getting relaxers at age 12 when my mom allowed me to get braids. The hairdresser insisted on relaxing my hair before she braided it because it would be more "manageable" and that the braids would look better, and last longer.

I wore braids until I was 15 because I kept cutting my own hair (by accident) when it was time to take them out. I remember it taking HOURS to put the darned things in, then HOURS to take them out. Cutting them short helped expedite the unbraiding process until my mother yelled at me for cutting my own hair in the process…so I stopped wearing braids, never could master the art of using a curling iron, and resorted to wearing buns, and hats.

I went natural in in 1998 because I hated (read "could never properly use") curling irons, didn't have the patience for rollers and I was tired of spending so much money on relaxers and other products to "manage" my hair. It's not that I was lazy, it's just that I felt that there had to be something better than this relaxing my hair

I prefer natural to relaxed because it's the healthiest my hair has ever been, the longest my hair has ever been, and most of all, because I LOVE water, and LOVE being able to get my hair wet in the rain, when I go swimming or when I take a shower….unlike India, I am my hair…it is an extension of me. Going natural is one of the best decisions I've made in the past 10 years.

What style do you love to rock?
L:
I love off the shoulder tops, skinny leg jeans and chuck taylor converse kicks. I accessorize with earrings (I LOVE earrings, and prefer to spend money on one of a kind pairs instead of clothes), and throw my locs in pony tail.

What do you use in your hair?
L:
I use natural oils (grape seed, almond, avocado) and sometimes a little bit of gel to neaten the edges when I'm due for a wash and twist

Where can we find you on the web?
L:
http://quirkyblackgirls.ning.com/profile/Leah
http://www.twitter.com/misslocs
http://www.whatwouldleahdo.wordpress.com

***
Post in the BGLH forum today! http://bglhonline.com/forum/

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: