Tuesday, November 17, 2009

For Shaniya: by Nia Wilson

Wailing, spinning
can’t move fast enough
can’t escape the image
can’t spit out the taste

and you are pushing me
and you are pushing me to
and you are pushing me to see
as Tom Joyner abandons you for the latest football news.
how could he, why would she
stepping over
your bruised broken body, through whispers of death penalty.

and he will not want
and he will not want to
and he will not want to hear
5 year-old screams please, mommy, please, mommy please mommy, please
ear piecing, and can’t catch breath plea
trembling why won’t some one come and save me
why is he hurting me, why is he hurting me

and we will not want
and we will not want to
and we will not want to stand
on the wrong side of that impenetrable glass
watch 5 year-old lifeless float
so little
and know we cannot reach you
cannot stop what is happening to you
we try to escape you
how do we save you, weep for you, wail for you, see, save and bathe you
wrap you in white linens and deliver you
how do we carry you

stop
and view
stop
and view
stop
and view
broken and mangled you
mark you in this moment in time

STOP the spinning and I painfully breathe you, little one
STOP the spinning and painfully breathe you, little one.
STOP the spinning and painfully breathe you, little one.
I am so sorry Shaniya
I love you.

No comments: